Tuesday 4 November 2014

Iron Poppies.

Low Moor Local History Group, part of the South Bradford Local History Alliance, are launching their new book “Iron Poppies” this weekend.

The book includes research on each of the 109 men whose names appear on the war memorials in the Low Moor area of Bradford.  Its authors are Barbara Reardon and Lucy Ives whose meticulous research brings alive many forgotten stories of bravery and loss.
It is an A4 book of 160 pages in a clear, larger than average font. There is a section on each man detailing his family and background, with photographs of many of the men and their graves. 

There is a section detailing where graves and memorial inscriptions can be found together with photographs of the war memorials of Low Moor and many of the cemeteries in Belgium and France.

Cost of the book is £7 but £10 posted to a UK address.



3 comments:

  1. Hello, could you tell me where I could purchase 2 of the Iron Poppies books from please. I believe you have information in the book on Willie Woodhead whose name is inscribed in the cenotaph in Low Moor. Willie is a relative of my husband (Willie was his fathers uncle). We also have Willie's war medals here along with some paper cuttings and also a sketch sent to Willies father from the plaques office of the plaque that was made and attached to the tree on Netherlands Avenue. If these items are of any use to you, please let me know and we can arrange for you to see them. If you could tell me where we could purchase the books that would be great as one will be sent on to Willies nephew (my husbands uncle).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa
      I hope you got my response - the site went down and I'm not sure it was sent
      Mary Twentyman

      Delete
    2. Hello Mary, unfortunately I didn't receive your response, would it be possible to resend it please. Many thanks. Lisa.

      Delete